Tuesday, November 6, 2007

It's Not a Hovel, It's a Home


Or at least it could be.

Perusing the local real estate websites on Sunday I saw what was described as a “diamond in the roungh (sic)” There were only exterior pictures, but the pretty high end neighborhood combined with a listing price in our range enticed me to learn more.

During a tour of open homes that afternoon we decided to drive by the place. As we slowed down to see what it was all about, a woman from the cleaning crew asked if we’d like to see the inside. Of course we were all over it!

The bones (if you’ll allow me that cheesy real estate term) are incredible. It’s got this HUGE living room with a fireplace and the layout is actually pretty good for an older home. It’s 100% NOT a ranch, which is nice because I feel like that’s all we’ve been seeing so far. Nothing against ranches, but this was a refreshing change. It just feels nice and old, which I love. There are 3 normal bedrooms and one tiny one that is almost all windows – would make a great office or something. The bad news is that the kitchen is a total disaster. Disgusting tile counters, dilapidated cabinets and no appliances. Other than that, although it’s old, the place is pretty liveable. Don’t get me wrong, just about everything needs fixing - new windows, new bathrooms and more, but for now it’s probably ok. It just happens to be at the top of our price range, so I’m totally stressed about having the money to live there, fix it up AND eat. On the other hand, it’s on a double lot and is in one of the more desirable communities in the East Bay and is walking distance to the little village. It’s got to be the cheapest house in town, so if we fixed it up the way we know how, maybe the equity could support the house flipping I want to do.

W (who has his heart set on it and is convinced this is our "forever house") is there right now with my stepdad who has made himself a lot of money in the real estate business. Hopefully he will help us figure out if we’re crazy TO do it, or crazy NOT to do it. It’s bank-owned, so we can’t get any disclosures and since W got lost on the way, they’re looking at it in the dark. Oh man, are we nuts?!?

***
Enough about me, though. If you haven’t had a chance, please stop over and let Ann know you’re thinking of her. She’s going through a nightmare I can’t even begin to comprehend.

9 comments:

AwkwardMoments said...

i LOVE that look. It's totally cute - good luck on your decision making

Anonymous said...

I could never buy a fixer upper. My husband doesn't know what to do with tools. :) I would have to have enough money to be able to pay someone to do it all for us.

Geohde said...

I'm beginning to negotiate the housing market and man.... I have total respect for you guys. Drives me nuts trying to get agents to even ring me back....

J

Lori Lavender Luz said...

It's easy to see your family happy here.

Good luck!!

Ms. Planner said...

Looks adorable and it sounds like y'all have enough skills and knowledge to make it work. I hope you get it. Good luck!

Unknown said...

That house looks like a keeper to me!!! But I understand the fear of being house-poor. We are remodeling now, and I picture us eating ramen noodles cooked on our dual-fuel Wolfe range.

millie said...

It looks adorable. Now I'm all curious and nosey as to which "village" it's near...

Caba said...

Good luck with the house! I'm so not a fixer upper, but I always wish I was! Hope that you guys end up with it if you decide it's what you want!

Busted said...

It's such a cute house (from the outside it least).

P.S. - I "tagged" you - see my blog for details.