Saturday, August 11, 2007

Saturday Freak Out - Now with Less Freakiness

Ok, yesterday I was having some major boob soreness, which I just sort of attributed to the bcp. Then late last night I started to have some brown spotting like I do before my period. Usually this lasts a few - up to four or five days. BCP aside, this is only CD12. Never in my life have I had a two week cycle. They've always been irregularly regular at 26-31 days. Of course the cycle right before my first IVF was only 22 or 23 days long. Does my body love getting those injections so much that it's hurrying things along this time too?

But seriously - isn't it weird to be getting my period while taking bcp? I've only been taking it for 10 days and only have four more to go.

I am so friggin' confused and freaking out a bit. Any ideas anyone? I've got a call into my RE's office, but they haven't called back. My drugs don't arrive until next Wednesday or Thursday because I ordered them from bloody (no pun intended) old England.

Ugh - I was so looking forward to a nice weekend before the madness starts up again and now I have this to worry about.

**UPDATE**

I've now heard from my RE's office as well as quite a few commenters (THANK YOU!) that this is pretty normal. I'm supposed to just let it flow and show up for my baseline as planned next Saturday.

10 comments:

Leah said...

I know exactly what you are talking about. I am on BCPs during this period too and things are funky. I had a fairly heavy period for about 3 days, then it tapered off for a day or two, then it went away for 2 days. Since then, I've had some heavy spotting but it's all brown. There are even some small clots (TMI?), but all brown. However, it's almost always there.

I emailed my nurse yesterday and asked WTF? She said breakthrough bleeding is very common on BCP (even though I've never experienced it before) and absolutely nothing to worry about. She said keep taking the pills and continue on with the remaining drug regimen until a scan or bloodwork during the stim phase say otherwise.

So that's what I'm going to do. Hopefully this stupid bleeding goes away for both of us -- soon!

Geohde said...

Sounds like breakthrough bleeding, which is actually kind of common on the pill.

Usually, in contraceptive situations, I'd advise a woman that the BTB should settle down within a cycle or two. ANd check that she wasn't taking any medications that incease the matabolism of the oestrogens in the pill.

Or, simply take action and change to a pill with a higher oestrogen content (as the BTB may signify she is not fully suppressed).

GOK what you do when it happens in an IVF cycle, I'm not sure. It probably isn't a major drama unless it gets heavy.

Carrie said...

I don't have any helpful advice, I'm afraid. Just wanted you to know that I'm thinking of you this cycle and I hope you get the answers you need from your clinic so you can stop worrying.

Sarah said...

i have heard of this happeneing with a lot of my cycle buddies over the years, even those who never had it on the pill before. i think it's pretty normal, but i hope you get some reassurance from your doc soon.

millie said...

Did you get to talk to the wonderful Howard at the pharmacy? I swoon for his voice.

Glad you got some reassurance from your RE.

CAM said...

Whew. Glad you got reassuring news from the doc. This is all such mental torture. I am sitting here waiting for my day 1...if it ever decides to show up?!
:)

Ms. Planner said...

Hi Erin - I am just getting caught up after traveling quite a bit for work. I am so excited for you this cycle and think it is great that you will out from under your job and can put all of your energies into Numero Dos. I am curious about how much DHEA you are taking (and is it under your RE's supervision). I take wheatgrass and have read about DHEA, but am not sure on the protocol.

Cheers, Ms. P

Ms. Planner said...

Hi E - thank you so very much for your comment on my blog. I was so scared to post it - given what I was admitting. Then, this morning, I had tears in my eyes when I read everyone's comments in support of my feelings. And your remark about parents who met in a strip club made me laugh out loud! I can't thank you enough. I always love hearing from you

Leah said...

As my baseline scan approaches, I'm thinking about you and your cycle. Hope everything is going well so far!

Mama Bear said...

Just wanted to drop a quick line--I hope you're doing well and wanted to wish you the best on this cycle! I hope the BCP issue worked itself out and that you're feeling better.

thinking of you!